Re: st: regression sample size

From   SR Millis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: regression sample size
Date   Sat, 20 Jun 2009 10:20:19 -0700 (PDT)

As Steyerberg discusses in his book, Clinical Prediction Models (2009), sample size considerations in linear regression models (and generalized linear models in general) should focus on statistical power for reliable predictions. As such, sample size requirements are formulated as events per variable (EVP). As a guideline, the minimum EVP may be 10. So, for a linear regression model, 10 subjects per variable. EVP values for reliable selection of predictors from a larger set of candidate  predictors may be as large as 50.

Scott R Millis, PhD, ABPP (CN,CL,RP), CStat, CSci
Professor & Director of Research
Dept of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Dept of Emergency Medicine
Wayne State University School of Medicine
261 Mack Blvd
Detroit, MI 48201
Email:  [email protected]
Tel: 313-993-8085