st: no observation in while-loop

From   "Martin Baumgarten" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: no observation in while-loop
Date   Fri, 19 Jun 2009 20:51:28 +0200

Hello,

I have a panel with 148 countries (id) over 30 years (time).
I need fitted values for one of the variables therefore I created this while loop

local i=1
while `i'<=148 {
use DataBase.dta
keep if id==`i'
reg machines import
predict machfilled
save A`i'
local i=`i'+1
}

However, for some countries, there is no data available and the loop stops. Then Stata returns "no observations".

Is there a way to skip these countries without observations? So that the loop will not be interrupted.

Thank for your help

m. baumgarten