st: RE: re: Re: Suppressing the Constant in the First Stage with ivreg2

Subject   st: RE: re: Re: Suppressing the Constant in the First Stage with ivreg2
Date   Thu, 18 Jun 2009 16:31:58 +0100

Anson,

Another way to put it is that the IV estimator is a single-equation,
limited information estimator.  You say that your model is structural,
so in effect you are saying that your "first-stage" regression is not a
standard IV first-stage linear projection at all - it's a structural
equation.  If so, then you are no longer in IV land; you want to use
instead a multiple-equation, full information estimator, e.g., 3SLS.

It's worth emphasising that IV is still giving you consistent estimates,
and the rationale for moving to 3SLS or some other system estimator is
to get more efficient estimates.  Of course, the usual
efficiency-robustness tradeoff also kicks in - 3SLS might be more
efficient than IV, but it also requires more assumptions than IV for
consistency.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mark

registered under charity number SC000278.