st: re: lincom

From   Kit Baum <>
Subject   st: re: lincom
Date   Thu, 18 Jun 2009 11:20:38 -0400

Martin said

It is useful indeed, but there is no extended discussion of -lincom- of the sort requested by Nikolaos in there.

I don't know what such an extended discussion would contain. After any estimation command you have a coefficient vector b=e(b) and a precision matrix e(V) [VCE]. If you want to examine any linear combination of coefficients, alpha' * b, calculating that combination is simple algebra which you could do yourself. Calculating its standard error, using e(V) and the standard rules for the variance of a random variable, is also something you could do yourself if you had e(V) at hand (-estat vce-). There is nothing fancy going on here. If I want to form the lincom of 2 * beta_3 - 4 * beta_5, I can calculate that expression with display, and I can calculate its s.e. using three elements of the VCE (the 3,3, 5,5, and 5,3 element). What more is there to say about lincom? It's just a convenience command.

An Introduction to Stata Programming |