st: Getting rid of line-breaks in Data

From   Elmar Saathoff <[email protected]>
To   "[email protected]" <[email protected]>, "Elmar Saathoff (GMX)" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Getting rid of line-breaks in Data
Date   Thu, 18 Jun 2009 09:28:00 +0200

Dear list members,

I am frequently using data that were imported from PDAs via MsAccess. In some cases these data contain some little squares that do not seem to do much harm in Stata, but that other applications interpret as linebreaks/carriage returns/paragraph marks, which is quite a hassle. It seems that these things are inadvertently entered into the PDAs by the people collecting the data. Unfortunately I cannot show them in this email, because my email client also interprets them as carriage returns. Anyway, I have been trying to identify and get rid of these things by programming (using "subinstr", "egen...split" etc.), but unfortunately, whatever I do, Stata also interprets them as carriage returns, both in do files and in the command window, even if I change the delimiter to ";" via the delimit command.

Thanks in advance, Elmar