st: Mata "no room to add more symbols" error

From   John Bates <[email protected]>
To   Stata <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Mata "no room to add more symbols" error
Date   Wed, 17 Jun 2009 18:15:10 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

I am running into a weird problem with Mata.  Is there a limit to how many variables you can declare inside a function?  I am writing a large function (part of several functions in a library).  When I now add the following line to the top of my main function:

real scalar newest_var

I get the following error when I try to compile (the error occurs a few hundred lines down after the declaration):

no room to add more symbols
r(3000);

followed by many more mata errors.  Deleting that one line of code, -real scalar newest_var-, resolves the problem and allows my function to compile.  Furthermore, I do not get an error if I add declare additional variables in my other (much smaller) functions; I only see it when I now try to declare more variables in my main, large function.  I find it hard to believe that there would be a limit to how many variables you can declare.  (I've declared a few hundred at MOST.)  Any ideas??

Thanks.