st: Splitting panel in 3 groups: gen byte

From   John Antonakis <>
Subject   st: Splitting panel in 3 groups: gen byte
Date   Wed, 17 Jun 2009 09:47:09 +0200

Martin recently helped with me with some code, to randomly split panel data equally into two groups (which I then collapsed afterwards).

I am trying to understand the code regarding the split. My panel identifier is "i".

I had:

gen random=runiform()
sort i random
by i: gen byte group=cond(_n<=_N/2,1,2)

So, how to I split into 3 groups or 4 groups? I am not sure what the "gen byte" command does and how the numbers 2,1,2 relate to the command.

Thank you in advance,

Prof. John Antonakis
Associate Dean Faculty of Business and Economics
University of Lausanne
Internef #618
CH-1015 Lausanne-Dorigny

Tel ++41 (0)21 692-3438