Re: st: Re: Generating index numbers with panel data in long format

From   Manfred Fleischer <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: Generating index numbers with panel data in long format
Date   Mon, 15 Jun 2009 22:30:29 +0200

Hi Martin,

Thank you for your "Here we go". It was a wonderful help in a perfect
format. I would have never found such an elegant solution  on my own.

Manfred

2009/6/15 Martin Weiss <[email protected]>:
> <>
>

> Here we go:
>
> ***
> clear*
>
> input countyid/*
> */ year entry exit
> 1 1983 35 33
> 1 1984 37 36
> 1 1985 38 39
> 2 1983 120 125
> 2 1984 122 127
> 2 1985 125 130
> end
>
> compress
> list, noobs/*
> */ sepby(countyid)
>
> bys countyid (year): /*
> */egen baseentry=total((year==1984)*entry)
> bys countyid (year): /*
> */egen baseexit=total((year==1984)*exit)
>
> bys countyid (year):/*
> */gen entry_index=100*entry/ baseentry
> bys countyid (year):/*
> */gen exit_index=100*exit/ baseexit