st: Re: RE: generating correlated binary data

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Re: RE: generating correlated binary data
Date   Sun, 14 Jun 2009 11:58:00 +0200

the file sets the -seed- in a manner that makes it incompatible with Stata 10. At least I can only make the line

set seed `=date("2007-02-27", "ymd")'

run by setting -vers 9-. For 10, I have to switch to

set seed `=date("2007-02-27", "YMD")'

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Coveney" <>
To: <>
Sent: Sunday, June 14, 2009 6:22 AM
Subject: st: RE: generating correlated binary data

David Airey wrote:

What is the easiest way of generating correlated binary data (greater
than 2 observations per cluster) in Stata?

I am trying to download this paper:

Al-Osh and Lee (2001) A simple approach for generating correlated
binary variates. J. Statist. Comput. Simul. Vol. 70, pp. 231-255.

You can download -ovbd- from SSC to generate correlated binary data with two or more observations per cluster. You'll also need to have another user-written
command installed, -ridder-, which is called by -ovbd-.

The syntax for -ovbd- is directly analogous to that of -drawnorm-, except for the -sd()- option, of course. For the same reason, there are constraints on what you can specify for a combination of mean vector and correlation matrix.

Joseph Coveney