st: Clustering with missing values

From   Dan Weitzenfeld <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: Clustering with missing values
Date   Fri, 12 Jun 2009 11:53:17 -0500

Hi All,
I am doing a cluster analysis with a dataset that is sparse in a subset of variables.  I'm against the standard techniques - modeling the missing values, or replacing them with the mean - for theoretical reasons.
A google search turned up a paper about using soft constraints - essentially using the sparse variables when they exist - and I'm wondering if there is a package/routine in Stata that implements this (or a similar) technique.
The paper is available at: