Re: st: question for listserve

From   John Antonakis <>
Subject   Re: st: question for listserve
Date   Fri, 12 Jun 2009 16:10:41 +0200

I am not sure you using the correct terminology to describe you model. You say "mediated"--which means "carries the effect". If you want to check whether x3 mediates the effect of z on y you need to estimate

ivprobit y = x1 x2 (z  =x3),

(download the -overid- ado)

Then if you want to know whether the indirect effect is significant:

nlcom [z]x3*[y]z

Now if you are talking about moderation, this is another story--this means "changes the nature of the relation between z and y". Here you estimate:

logit y z x1 x2 x3 x3*z

Moderation occurs if the beta of the x3-z interaction is significant.

Prof. John Antonakis
Associate Dean Faculty of Business and Economics
University of Lausanne
Internef #618
CH-1015 Lausanne-Dorigny

Tel ++41 (0)21 692-3438