Re: st: Delta method using Mata

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Delta method using Mata
Date   Tue, 9 Jun 2009 10:19:59 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Tue, 9/6/09, George Batchelor wrote:
> I have an estimator in Mata that produces a set of
> coefficient estimates and also a var-covar matrix.
> I then transform the coefficients using a non-linear
> process.  Ordinarily I would then use the delta
> method to calculate the var-covar matrix for
> transformed coefficients.  To do this in Stata I
> would use "nlcom" and in Gauss I would use "gradp"
> to find the gradient vector of the new parameters,
> but I can not find a function to do this in Mata.  Any
> advice on how to do this would be much appreciated.

One strategy you could follow is to return these intermediate
estimates into Stata and use -nlcom- within Stata. This is
illustrated in the silly example below.

*------------- begin example ---------------
mata drop silly()
void silly() {