RE: st: Log Normality of Dependentvar

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Log Normality of Dependentvar
Date   Mon, 8 Jun 2009 18:22:02 +0100

In addition to Steve Samuels' various comments, I add a prejudice here against ln(X - k) as a transform unless k is specifiable in advance and on independent scientific or practical grounds.

This prejudice has several bases, varying from solid to ectoplasmic:

1. k is a lower limit to X and limits are always difficult to estimate from data. This is especially well documented with maximum likelihood which is one method of choice.

2. In effect, you are saying once you entertain k != 0: the two-parameter lognormal is not good enough; let's consider a three-parameter lognormal. I'd rather try other two-parameter distributions first, or equivalently  other transformations. For example, fitting a two-parameter gamma is roughly equivalent in some senses to working on a cube root scale.

3. If you play with this approach, you get all sorts of ad hoc constants floating round in your analysis. It then gets rather difficult to discuss, to compare with other studies, etc.

Christian Weiss

thank you a lot for your elaboration on this topic! Although this was
very interesting for me, my actual question is still not answered yet.

So let me rephrase: If a variable is lognormally distributed
(according to swilk, lnnormal), why is it not "normally" distributed
after transforming it via ln / skskew0 / bcskew0 (according to swilk)