st: kmeans clustering -initial starting points

From   Alp Eren Yurtseven <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: kmeans clustering -initial starting points
Date   Mon, 08 Jun 2009 16:12:32 +0300

Hi,

I am quite new to STATA and I have a question about kmeans clustering. A combination of hierarchical and non-hierarchical techniques is advised in the literature (Punj and Stewart, 1983; de Jong and Marsili, 2006). This literature suggests generating initial solutions using the Ward's method and then employ the centroids in the kmeans clustering as starting points. I checked out the start option but keep getting syntax errors. I would be most glad if I could get an insight on how to combine these two methods.

Regards

Alp Eren Yurtseven