st: Country-Dummy as random intercept?

From   Christian Weiss <>
Subject   st: Country-Dummy as random intercept?
Date   Fri, 5 Jun 2009 17:20:51 +0200

Dear Statalist,

I am using a variable "country" as random intercept, using the REML estimator.

The variable country takes the Value 1 for Japan, 2 for US, 3 for UK
and so on...

In an ordinary OLS regression I would include the country variable by
using xi (xi: regress Do I have to do this for a the
random intercept model, too? (i.e. create a dummy variable for each
country insead of using the original "country" variable?

Thanks a lot,

best regards