st: Re: How can I loop a FOR command across columns of a matrix

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: How can I loop a FOR command across columns of a matrix
Date   Fri, 5 Jun 2009 06:56:34 -0400

<>
Nathan said

I have a 2 x N matrix, such as the following...

2  3  5  10  6
1  2  8  13  6

I would like to write a loop, such as foreach or forvalues, that will
take the first and second element of each column, and use them for
some operation, and then move on to subsequent columns.

Given that these are matrices, there is no need for an explicit loop in either Stata's matrix language or Mata (although it would certainly be easier in Mata).

mat f = (2,3,4,10,6\1,2,8,13,6)
mat a = f[1,1..5]'
mat b = f[2,1..5]'
// ssc install matodd
qui matewm a b c
mat r = c'
mat list r

You could avoid hardcoding 5 in there by using the matrix function colsof(f).

An Introduction to Stata Programming | http://www.stata-press.com/books/isp.html