RE: st: An EXCEL easy STATA difficult problem

From   Roy Wada <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: An EXCEL easy STATA difficult problem
Date   Thu, 4 Jun 2009 22:39:12 -0700

> I have done the following work with the software EXCEL
> easily and quickly. But I do not know how to do it with STATA.
> The data set has more than 3000 lines, each of which has three parts:
> X1, ...,Xn,Y1,....,Yn,Z1,...Zt
> First, for each line, I do a simple regression:
> Y=a+b*X
> Second, for each line, I use the Z's and the estimated a and
> b to do some calculations.

Excel wouldn't run like that. What you probably have is X, Y, Z.
sysuse auto, clear
keep mpg rep78 headroom
reg mpg rep78
gen stuff=_b[_cons]+_b[rep78]*headroom