st: Help with Stata error code r(900);

From   Kit Baum <>
Subject   st: Help with Stata error code r(900);
Date   Thu, 4 Jun 2009 14:43:24 -0400

Muhammad said

I have a dataset in SPSS, I transformed it into Stata format by saving as (Stata SE format) in SPSS. Now I want to open it in Stata10 but it gives the following error message.

no room to add more variables
   An attempt was made to add a variable that would have resulted in
   more than 2048 or 2047 variables (Stata reserves one variable for
   its own use).  You have the following alternatives:
    1.  Drop some variables; see help drop.
    2.  If you are using Stata/SE, increase maxvar; see help maxvar.

You must be using Stata/IC, which has a limit of 2047 variables. Does your dataset have more variables than that? If so, you can increase maxvar in Stata/SE or Stata/MP, but not in Stata/IC. One solution would be to save only some of the variables from SPSS. Another would be to use Stat/Transfer to create a dataset containing a subset of the variables.

An Introduction to Stata Programming |