RE: st: RE: fitting a gompertz curve, not in the context of survival analysis

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: fitting a gompertz curve, not in the context of survival analysis
Date   Sun, 31 May 2009 12:48:40 +0100

Thomas Love Peacock made some of his characters discuss this matter in
his novel "Crotchet Castle" (Hookham, London, 1831).

The entire text is easily accessible at e.g.
http://www.thomaslovepeacock.net/Crotchet.html

Peacock unerringly identified several key issues in your research,
including the question of time origin. If you want to object that he
supplied neither data nor precise equations that doesn't distinguish him
from many of the economists who have discussed this matter since. On the
other hand, the allusion to modelling is naturally prescient.

In this novel of ideas, Mr Mac Quedy is, according to various scholars,
based mostly on the Scottish economist J.R. McCulloch. Quedy is also
identified as a play on QED, quod erat demonstrandum, i.e. on the a
priori or deductive style of economising.

What follows is an exact quotation from that URL, except that I have
corrected "desert" to "dessert". (The Project Gutenberg copy is correct
on that point.) Dr Folliott's reference to "your nation" underlines that
he is English and Mr Mac Quedy is Scottish. As an Englishman with some
Welsh antecedents married to a Scot, I want to underline that that
difference is important.

CHAPTER VI
Theories

                      But when they came to shape the model,
                      Not one could fit the other's noddle.

BUTLER

MEANWHILE the last course, and the dessert, passed by. When the ladies
had withdrawn, young Crotchet addressed the company.

MR CROTCHET, JUN.
There is one point in which philosophers of all classes seem to be
agreed; that they only want money to regenerate the world.

MR MAC QUEDY
No doubt of it. Nothing is so easy as to lay down the outlines of
perfect society. There wants nothing but money to set it going. I will
explain myself clearly and fully by reading a paper. (Producing a large
scroll.) 'In the infancy of society---'

THE REV DR FOLLIOTT
Pray, Mr Mac Quedy, how is it that all gentlemen of your nation begin
every thing they write with the 'infancy of society'?

MR MAC QUEDY
Eh, sir, it is the simplest way to begin at the beginning. 'In the
infancy of society, when government was invented to save a percentage;
say two and a half per cent.---'

THE REV DR FOLLIOTT
I will not say any such thing.

MR MAC QUEDY
Well, say any percentage you please.

THE REV DR FOLLIOTT
I will not say any percentage at all.

MR MAC QUEDY
'On the principle of the division of labour---'

THE REV DR FOLLIOTT
Government was invented to spend a percentage.

MR MAC QUEDY
To save a percentage.

THE REV DR FOLLIOTT
No, sir, to spend a percentage; and a good deal more than two and a half
per cent. Two hundred and fifty per cent.; that is intelligible.

<quotation ends>