Re: st: lpattern() option doesn't work in -twoway bar-?

From   [email protected] (Vince Wiggins, StataCorp)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: lpattern() option doesn't work in -twoway bar-?
Date   Wed, 27 May 2009 16:15:17 -0500

Eva Poen <[email protected]>, Maarten buis <[email protected]>, and
"Martin Weiss" <[email protected]> have reported several failures of the
-lpattern()- option of -graph- when combined with bar and area plots.

The root problem is that the graphics libraries for operating systems and
other devices often have no concept of patterning the bounding line of a bar
or area.  For some libraries, if you outline a bar or area with a dashed line
then try to fill it with a color, the color simply leaks out.  We probably
should have gone with the libraries on this call and disallowed patterned
bounding lines.  Instead we resorted to skullduggery to overlay separate
bounding lines, and none too completely.  We will look into adding more
skullduggery.

-- Vince