RE: st: Missing outcome variables - how to deal with these?

From   Ana Gabriela Guerrero Serdan <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: Missing outcome variables - how to deal with these?
Date   Sat, 23 May 2009 03:10:58 -0700 (PDT)

Dont know if this applies to your type of data but if you have survey data you can first see how much selection for those individuals where you have missing information. How different they are from the rest, compare the rest of the characteristics where you do have some information. So do a test to check this.

One thing you would be able do if you have missing values for some of the explanatory variables  (which is not your case) is to create a dummy =1 for those variables that you have missing values, in this way you dont loose the observations when you do your analysis, for example, if you do a regression and your outcome variable is education and you want to include an explanatory variable of education of the mother/father but you have missing values here, then you include the dummy that I was mentining before.

hope it helps,

regards,
Gaby