st: insheet numeric variables as strings

From   Xia Jing <>
To   <>
Subject   st: insheet numeric variables as strings
Date   Thu, 21 May 2009 08:01:22 +0800

Thank you very much.
Roy is correct to note that downstream fix would be difficult.
I found that -infile (free format)- works well. I had thought infile was for fixed format or space delimited only.
For example,  "infile _skip(10) str5 ICD9code  _skip(89) using filename.txt" will forcefully read ICD9code as strings even if it's all numbers.
The drawback is that I had to write a very long command with nearly 100 variables of interest.
The advantage is that infile was able to read in over 1,000,000 observations quickly.
Thanks again,