st: insheet numeric variables as strings

From   Xia Jing <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: insheet numeric variables as strings
Date   Thu, 21 May 2009 08:01:22 +0800

Thank you very much.

Roy is correct to note that downstream fix would be difficult.

I found that -infile (free format)- works well. I had thought infile was for fixed format or space delimited only.

For example,  "infile _skip(10) str5 ICD9code  _skip(89) using filename.txt" will forcefully read ICD9code as strings even if it's all numbers.

The drawback is that I had to write a very long command with nearly 100 variables of interest.

The advantage is that infile was able to read in over 1,000,000 observations quickly.

Thanks again,

Alice