st: Re: F-statistic using Newey

From   Kit Baum <>
Subject   st: Re: F-statistic using Newey
Date   Tue, 19 May 2009 07:11:07 -0400

You don't have to go that far to find this issue arising:

sysuse auto
reg price mpg
reg price mpg, robust

Any program that calculates robust or HAC (Newey-West) estimates of the VCE (regress, ivregress, newey, ivreg2 from SSC) will also construct robust (or HAC) estimates of the F-statistic, that is, 'robustified' F stats. See Wooldridge, Introductory Econometrics, 4th ed., Appendix E:

"A Wald statistic that is robust to heteroskedasticity of unknown form is obtained by... and similarly for a test statistic robust to both heteroskedasticity and serial correlation. The robust versions of the test statistics CANNOT be computed via sums of squared residuals or R- squareds from the restricted and unrestricted regressions." (p. 810)

So the intuition that because the sums of squares have not changed, the degrees of freedom, the R^2 have not changed, you should get the same F is faulty.

An Introduction to Stata Programming |