Re: st: AW: ANOVA help

From   David Airey <david.airey@Vanderbilt.Edu>
Subject   Re: st: AW: ANOVA help
Date   Mon, 18 May 2009 09:51:19 -0500

Some things you left out, such as are your attitudinal variables ratio/ interval, ordinal, or categorical? You did say you calculated means, so I'm assuming your attitudinal variables are continuous, but you should say. Do you really have multiple nested levels (neighborhood, city, region) and do you care about difference in particular areas or do you just want to control for that? In addition to what Martin mentioned, -xtmixed- could be used.

On May 18, 2009, at 9:19 AM, Martin Weiss wrote:

Well, my initial reaction is that this is a case for -anova-, and you could
obtain further information from

Hamilton (2009), chapter 5,

Rabe-Hesketh and Everitt (2007), chapter 4,

Among free resources, the UCLA website has a whole section on - anova-.

Also note the command -ttest- to compare means, as well as its cousins like
-signtest- et al. ...

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
[] Im Auftrag von Rahsaan Maxwell
Gesendet: Sonntag, 17. Mai 2009 22:34
Betreff: st: ANOVA help

I am interested in comparing mean scores on several attitudinal variables
two groups: A and B. I have a dummy variable C (which is coded 0- if group
1- if group B).

There is a statistical significance for the difference in the overall means
these two groups.  However, I want to see whether or not the means for
of A and B who live in the same neighborhood/city/region are the same. Some
preliminary cross-tabs suggest that attitudes for these two groups are
when analyzed at these geographic levels.

So, I am thinking back to my intro stats class and wondering if ANOVA can
whether the difference in the mean attitude scores for members of groups A
B in the same neighorhood/city/region are statistically significant. If so,
how do I do this?  If not, is there another test I should be using?

Rahsaan Maxwell, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Political Science
University of Massachusetts, Amherst

Postdoctoral Fellow
Transatlantic Academy
German Marshall Fund of the United States