Re: st: question about negative binomial regression by Stata

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: question about negative binomial regression by Stata
Date   Thu, 14 May 2009 19:04:56 +0200

 From an empirical researcher who almost never heard about statistics but has some knowledge of Stata and user-written commands:
(0) Use -xtpoisson-: the likelihood ratio test at the bottom of the results' table is a test of the overdispersion parameter alpha. When the overdispersion parameter is zero, the negative binomial distribution is equivalent to a Poisson distribution. If the test is significant, then alpha is significantly different from zero and the Poisson distribution is not appropriate.
(1) -xtnbreg- will work with unbalanced panels, too (in my panel, Obs per group: ranges from 3 to 15, with a avg of 13,3)
(2) I don't know almost any test for panels in Stata (but a few for -xtreg-) about the problems you mention. Even if they exist and they find a problem, there are almost no alternative panel and count commands to -xtnbreg- that may solve the problem.
(3) I don't know any count version for the -xtabond- command and the like in Stata
Sorry for not being so much useful,

Nicola

P.S. I'll NOT receive/read any email but the Digest.