st: RE: Fast way to calculate Gini coefficients

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Fast way to calculate Gini coefficients
Date   Fri, 15 May 2009 16:07:11 +0100

A program you haven't mentioned is -somersd-, which can also be used to calculate Gini coefficients, and can be downloaded from SSC. To do this in a Stata session, type

ssc desc somersd

for a brief description, and

ssc install somersd, replace

to install the package, and

net get somersd

to copy the 3 .pdf manuals for the -somersd- package to your current local folder. The manual -somersd.pdf- contains an example of the use of -somersd- for calculating a Gini coefficient. This example also appears in Newson (2006a).

I do not know whether -somersd- is faster or slower than the alternatives that you mention. However, it uses the algorithm of Newson (2006b), which calculates a confidence interval in a time asymptotically proportional to NlogN, instead of in a time asymptotically proportional to the square of N, where N is the sample number.

If you are calculating Gini coefficients for a large number of subsets, then the -parmby- module of the -parmest- package might be useful. The -parmest- package can also be downloaded from SSC, using the -ssc- command.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger

References

Newson R. 2006a. Confidence intervals for rank statistics: Somers' D and extensions. The Stata Journal 6(3): 309-334.

Newson R. 2006b. Efficient calculation of jackknife confidence intervals for rank statistics. Journal of Statistical Software 15(1): 1-10.

Roger B Newson BSc MSc DPhil
Lecturer in Medical Statistics
National Heart and Lung Institute
Imperial College London