Re: st: AW: Making scatterplot instead of box plot...

From   Sam Norton <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: AW: Making scatterplot instead of box plot...
Date   Fri, 15 May 2009 11:30:46 +0100

I don't really understand what is wanted, but you might find Nick
Cox's -stripplot- available from SSC helpful. For example,

***
sysuse auto, clear
stripplot mpg, over(foreign) box stack centre vertical // overlays box plot
stripplot mpg, over(foreign) bar stack centre vertical // overlays
mean and 95% CI
***

Alternatively, to display mean with bars showing +/- 1SD you could:

***
egen meanmpg = mean(mpg), by(foreign)
egen sdmpg = sdmpg, by(foreign)
gen lb = meanmpg - sdmpg
gen ub = meanmpg + sdmpg
stripplot mpg, over(for) box stack centre vertical addplot(sc meanmpg
foreign || rcap  lb ub foreign)
***

hope this is useful
Sam

2009/5/14 Martin Weiss <[email protected]>:
> <>
>
> Ok, overlays between Stata graphs work best with the -twoway- family, but
> -graph box- does not have membership status there. So let me guess what your
> best shot at the prob could be:
>
> *************
> sysuse bpwide, clear
>
> //before
> graph box bp_before,/*
> */ over(sex) name(first, replace) /*
> */ nodraw
>
> scatter bp_before sex, /*
> */name(second, replace) nodraw
>
> //after
> graph box bp_after,/*
> */ over(sex) name(third, replace) /*
> */ nodraw
>
> scatter bp_after sex, /*
> */name(fourth, replace) nodraw
>
> //combine 'em
> gr combine first second third fourth
> *************
>

> HTH
> Martin
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Amr Al Sayed" <[email protected]>

>>> Martin
>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Amr Al Sayed" <[email protected]>

Sam Norton
[email protected]
Research Student
Centre for Lifespan & Chronic Illness Research
University of Hertfordshire