st: AW: Re: Class programming in stata.

Subject   st: AW: Re: Class programming in stata.
Date   Thu, 14 May 2009 14:47:28 +0200

<>

" It will be very useful if in their programming manuals, at StataCorp,
they took practical examples and developped all the codes from scratch
to end, as did Kit Baum in his books for mata programming"

I do not understand this criticism. Baum(2009)
http://www.stata-press.com/books/isp.html  is an introduction to "Stata
Programming", and only 2 of its chapters are devoted to -mata-. So in a way,
this publication is complimentary to the [P] manual, and provides exactly
the kind of step-by-step introduction to programming that you demand. In
combination, these two are unbeatable, IMHO.

The economics of better coverage of the class system have been discussed
before in this thread...

HTH
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Amadou DIALLO
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 14. Mai 2009 14:39
An: [email protected]
Betreff: st: Re: Class programming in stata.

Message not gone through. Resending...

----------------

Hi,

Nick, Marteen, many thanks for your answers. I wish someone with extended
knowledge on the topic (Nick, Zurab, Araar, statacorp staff, ???) could
write some tutorials on the subject. I need it to start a new project
and I've realized that I need to go through class programming (as in
the case of adept or dasp).

As I said, I get really frustrated when I tried official stata's class
programming examples (a search through the list shows me that this
issue has been already raised and solved).

It will be very useful if in their programming manuals, at StataCorp,
they took practical examples and developped all the codes from scratch
to end, as did Kit Baum in his books for mata programming (I've
learned better mata programming with his book than the Mata official
manual I've bought two years ago). I know there is the issue of the
volume size, etc., but a manual is precisely there for that, isn't it?

When I read in many stata manuals something like :

program
(the rest of your code continues here)
end

for my part is not very useful or appealling and can get the user quickly
discouraged. This is certainly useful for advanced programmers who
need to go straight to what they need, but we the beginners need more
than that.

This is only my opinion, maybe other users do not feel that way.

Nice weekend to you all.

Amadou

---

Amadou B. DIALLO, PHD
Development Economist
Director
Center for Research and Training on Adult Education
Mayotte, FRANCE
www.aprosasoma.org
+262639693250

--