st: RE: data management updating a panel dataset

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: data management updating a panel dataset
Date   Tue, 12 May 2009 23:33:02 +0100

It's a little difficult to advise without knowing your exact situation.
But you can do this all in Stata, for example by reading in the new data
and using -append- to add the new data, or vice versa. You can then
-sort- if and as required and -save- the combined dataset. Using Excel
is absolutely not required.

Volpi, Massimiliano

I would like to update a panel dataset in Stata, for which a further
year of observations has become available.
I would like to tell Stata to generate new observations and then edit
them within Stata.
This would seem to me as a better option than listing the identifying
variables, copying them as table, editing them in Excel and then
appending the new to the old data base, which is the only alternative I
Any suggestion on how to do it? Or is there a reason for not doing so?
I am using Stata10.1