st: ifelse mata function

From   Nicola Orsini <>
Subject   st: ifelse mata function
Date   Tue, 12 May 2009 13:20:40 +0200

Mata users,

do you know any mata function similar to ifelse implemented in R or the cond() programming function in Stata?

I know I can loop across observations but it's not really fast with large dataset in an optimization process where this process has to be repeated many times.

Here is a simple example

mata clear
y =  runiform(10,1)
x =  runiform(10,1)
z =  J(10,1,.)
for (i=1; i<=rows(y); i++) {
	    if (y[i]>= x[i]) z[i] = y[i]-x[i]
 	 	  else       z[i] = x[i]-y[i]
y, x, z

Wouldn't be great to have a mata function like -ifelse-?

ifelse(y>=x, z=y-x, z=x-y)