st: job transitions

From   marcel spijkerman <>
To   stata stata <>
Subject   st: job transitions
Date   Sun, 10 May 2009 17:18:14 +0000

Dear Stata users,

I am currently working on job transitions. I have paneldata of labour market positions of  individuals. Some of them enter a job from a position of unemployment, others have a job but change to another job, and the rest keeps the same job from t to t+1. My interest is in the influence of both personal characteristics as well as job characteristics on these transitions. I would expect that for those who change their job characteristics of their former job as well as their new job have an effect on the probability of a transition. For example one would expect that a wage improvement has a positve effect on making such a transition. The the point is that for those who do not change their job, characteristics of their potential new jobs are not observed.  I am not sure how to model this problem. Does anyone have suggestions?

Best regards

Marcel Spijkerman