st: AW: Tracing in Stata

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: AW: Tracing in Stata
Date   Tue, 5 May 2009 18:49:31 +0200

In such cases, I either look at the error very closely and try to figure out
which command could possibly have caused it - most of the time that narrows
it down quite substantially. Or I let my template below record the entire
-trace- with -tracedepth- at infinity (grab a cup of tea in the meantime),
have it turned into a pdf and search it in the pdf reader for the offending

//to log in an additional log and have it transferred to pdf

//can set -linesize-
set linesize 120

//close if open
capt log close newlog
di in red _rc

log using mylog.smcl, name(newlog) replace
//do whatever you want in the log

//trace the thing with Ben Jann`s tool

//or use conventional set trace on/off
//set trace on

//set trace off

log close newlog

translate mylog.smcl, replace
//need Miktex utilities running on computer for this step
capt erase
!start mylog.pdf