st: Re: st: RE: [iso-8859-1] Fisher´s exact test for rxc [2X2] tables: one-tailed or two-tailed[iso-8859-1] [iso-8859-1] ?

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: st: RE: [iso-8859-1] Fisher´s exact test for rxc [2X2] tables: one-tailed or two-tailed[iso-8859-1] [iso-8859-1] ?
Date   Mon, 4 May 2009 09:01:36 -0400

-
Tiago,

There is support for both positions. The SAS 9.13 Stat manual (page
1473) states" For RxC tables, Fisher's exact test is inherently
two-sided" and that the rejection region consists of  all "all tables
with p less than or equal to the probability of the observed table".
This doesn't make sense to me, as "p" is a tail-probability  not a
table probability.  In any case, I'd have to look up the references
and I don't have time.

As I read the Stata manual (version 10, Ref Q-Z, page 439) correct, it
shows your statement about direction is true for 2x2 tables only.  It
makes a statement about an "algorithm extending this calculation to r
x c tables", but this just about calculating the probabilities of the
tables with R>2 or C>2.  Someone from StataCorp will have to enlighten
us further.

 2x2 tables have a single parameter (odds ratio), about which one can
test directional hypotheses.  For RxC Agresti (2000 p. 56) defines a
minimal (non-unique) set of (R -1)(C-1) odds ratios and states  that
independence  is equivalent to all of these being equal to 1.0.  The
tests of independence will reject if some of them are different from
1.  Some OR could be <1; others >1, but the entire  table itself has
no "direction"-

In all examples that I've seen, the p-value for Pearson chi square,
likelihood-ratio, and Fisher's exact test have been similar with
Pearson closest. The reported Pearson is definitely one-sided-it is
the right-sided tail value. \

So, I guess both interpretations  have some justification.  Until
someone from StataCorp chimes in, feel free to use either.

-Steve

Ref: Alan Agresti, 2000,  Categorical Data Analysis,  Wiley Books.

oOn u, May 2, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Tiago V. Pereira