st: clustering with a new dataset

From   "Data Analytics Corp." <>
To   Stata Listserve <>
Subject   st: clustering with a new dataset
Date   Sun, 03 May 2009 21:08:51 -0400

I ran a cluster analysis last year for a client using "cluster ward varlist" where the variables in varlist came from a survey. This worked fine and the client was happy. This year, she returned with a new dataset (same variables, just new values from a new survey) and wants last year's clusters applied to this year's data. I can't see how to do this - in fact it doesn't seem to make sense. Any suggestions, or should I tell her that I can just rerun the old commands and MAYBE the same clusters will appear?

Walter R. Paczkowski, Ph.D.
Data Analytics Corp.
44 Hamilton Lane
Plainsboro, NJ 08536