st: AW: use of histogram option

Subject   st: AW: use of histogram option
Date   Wed, 29 Apr 2009 21:22:50 +0200

<>

This sounds more like a -graph bar- than anything else. You probably have to
do some upstream work before you can call the -graph- itself...

HTH
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Linn Renée
Naper
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 29. April 2009 21:13
An: [email protected]
Betreff: st: use of histogram option

I want to use Stata to make some nice histogram showing some distributional
features of my data, but unfortunately I have some problems in finding out
how to do it.  I've been able to do the following in Excel earlier, but I
like the look of the Stata graphics much more, so I hope someone can give me
a clue:

Well, I want to use three variable making the histograms.
The first is an indicator of size for my observations (population size in
districts), and the two other variable are a dummy variable and a continuous
variable describing the districst.

First; I'd like to make a histogram with five boxes. The first box should
simply give me the mean of the dummy variable for all district, whereas the
four next should give the mean of the dummy variable within each population
quartile of the sample.
Second I'd like to add another histogram under the first one where I in the
same way show the mean of the continuous variable, only here I'd like to
categorize the boxes both by population size and the value of the dummy.
Thus, the first two boxes should give the mean value of the continuous
variable for all districts with dummy value 0 and value 1. The next two
should give the same figures for the districts only in the first population
quartile, then the second quartile  and so on. I would also be nice if I
could add some extra space between the boxes for the total sample, and for
the four different quartiles respectively.

Thanks to anyone who can help me !