st: AW: bar graph with 2 y-axes

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: AW: bar graph with 2 y-axes
Date   Mon, 27 Apr 2009 14:07:59 +0200

There may be specific reasons why you want a bar -graph- but I think a
-line- graph conveys pretty much the same information and does not suffer
from the overlap prob...

set obs 10

gen year=_n

gen var1=rnormal(5000000,50000)
gen var2=   rnormal(5000000000,5430000)

tw (line var1 year, sort) (line var2 year, yaxis(2))

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
[] Im Auftrag von Jochen Späth
Gesendet: Montag, 27. April 2009 13:37
Betreff: st: bar graph with 2 y-axes

Dear all,

After screening the statalist and some graphical advice literature in the
last days I still haven't got the clue:
I need to draw a bar graph for two time series with different scales (e.g.
one in millions, the other in billions) over years.
Graph bar delivers the desired over-all look as, f.i., in

-graph bar var1 var2,  over(year)-.

But I would like to have two different scales (left and right).
-graph bar- does not offer such an option with the -over-option - logically.

In -twoway bar-, which has the option for a second vertical axis as in

-graph twoway (bar var1 year, yscale(1)) (bar var2 year, yscale(2))-,

I have not managed to override the default result that the bars are drawn
one behind the other - I rather want them one beside the other (and grouped
over years).

Any idea?