Re: st: Interesting Results - But Am I Right?

From   Austin Nichols <>
Subject   Re: st: Interesting Results - But Am I Right?
Date   Sun, 26 Apr 2009 08:07:36 -0400

Sachin Chintawar <>:
Probably you are greatly increasing the strength of the instruments as
you increase the number of instruments--you can check the first-stage
stats with e.g. -ranktest- on SSC (see also -ivreg2- on SSC for
context), or derive analytically the concentration parameter or
equivalent (see e.g. and related
material).  A more natural model is one where the additional
instruments do not have substantial additional explanatory power for
the endog var, i.e. you have 4 essentially identical instruments
differing from each other only via some noise, any one of which would
be a mediocre instrument, and putting all 4 in actually is worse than
just using one.