RE: st: imputing continuous values when respondents select categories, e.g., income category

From   jverkuilen <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: imputing continuous values when respondents select categories, e.g., income category
Date   Sun, 26 Apr 2009 01:34:14 -0400

"Richard Williams" wrote:

At 11:20 PM 4/24/2009, Roy Wada wrote:

>To back up, I've never heard of anyone computing the predicted values from
intreg and then using them as an independent variable in subsequent
analyses. >

Sounds analogous to using the linear predictor from a probit in a subsequent analysis. This probably works out to be some kind of multi-stage estimation but of what?

< That may just reflect my ignorance, but it seems like at a
minimum your standard errors would be too optimistic.>

I would think so, and not be at all sanguine that bootstrap wil fix it.

>For that matter, there are concerns about using intreg for dependent
variables - if the assumptions of the method are not met (e.g.
normality) the estimates may be wrong. >

In very much the same way that Tobit type models depend on the specification of error distribution in a way OLS does not.

 JV