Re: st: -stripplot- updated on SSC

From   David Airey <>
To   "" <>
Subject   Re: st: -stripplot- updated on SSC
Date   Thu, 23 Apr 2009 06:50:12 -0500

Thanks. Stripplot is very useful. I think it is my favorite graphic command.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 23, 2009, at 6:18 AM, "Nick Cox" <> wrote:

Thanks to Kit Baum, the package -stripplot- has been updated on SSC.
Stata 8.2 is required. To install or update, use -ssc- or - adoupdate- as

The first version of -stripplot- was called -onewplot- and goes back to
23 April 1999. The truncated name reflected the 8.3 filename.ext limit
that then applied to Stata ado files. Later the longer name - onewayplot-
was used; the present name was adopted in 2005.

Originally the program was designed as an alternative to the official
command -graph, oneway- (from Stata 8 -gr7, oneway-). Later its role
became more of an alternative to the official command -dotplot-. More
recently, the popularity of similar ideas in other software (e.g. R) has
also been a stimulus.

The update consists most visibly of a new option -separate()- for
distinguishing subsets of data points. A question from Kit Baum at the
London users' meeting last September nudged me into implementing this.
Thus users now have three possibilities for subdivision of data:
previous versions of -stripplot- included -by()- and -over() options.

There are also various other small updates and fixes to both code and

The help file is detailed, with several examples and references, so I
won't expand further. Those wanting a quick sample of -stripplot- could
try, after installation,

. sysuse auto, clear
. stripplot mpg, over(rep78) separate(foreign) stack