st: Re: Simulating Instrumental Variable Probit Model

Subject   st: Re: Simulating Instrumental Variable Probit Model
Date   Mon, 20 Apr 2009 23:57:37 +0200

<>

"Dr. Maartin's " is a new and enjoyable variant of a long running joke.

Anyway:

Get rid of the equal sign in "regress x2 =  z1 z2 z3 z4 mu "

Capture x2hat as -predict x2hat- w/o options as what you want is the default...

You may want to -set seed- inside the -simulate- command rather than outside...

Take a look at -drawnorm-. If you set all correlations to zero, you could save a couple of -generate-s.

"how do I tell stata that my y is a probit" -probit- is a model/Stata command, not a thing. I guess you want this to be a dummy, so it becomes amenable to analysis via -ivprobit-. You could simply say -generate y = 0.5 + 2*x1 + x2hat + mu + u>4- if "4" is a good value from which on you want the dependent to be 1. I have not checked that in detail.

Why do you want to capture the parameters x1 and x2hat? One is a variable that you -generate-d, the other a prediction derived from your -regress-ion. They are vectors of values, not parameters, and I think -simulate- is not equipped to capture those (would be a lot of data, for every replication 2 vectors @ 500 observations each...)

HTH
Martin
----- Original Message ----- From: "Sachin Chintawar" <[email protected]>