st: What is this plot type?

Subject   st: What is this plot type?
Date   Mon, 20 Apr 2009 14:19:11 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Statalisters. I thought you'd be my best bet on this question. I am intrigued by this plot in the Wall Street Journal. It's on this page and, technically speaking of course, is the plot that looks like yellow balloons. :)

The WSJ appears to use Stata for a lot of their visualizations and perhaps used it for this too. There is a transparent element in the graph as well that would be useful in exploring independent of the rest of the display.

Any leads?