st: Principal Component Analysis, First Steps

From   Ulrich Atz <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Principal Component Analysis, First Steps
Date   Sun, 19 Apr 2009 14:48:18 -0400

Dear StataList!

I am working on a probit model for self-employment. So far the usual covariates are straightforward, but I'd like to include some more unusual variables such as e.g. the "social ties" of an individual. Because of my data set, this is a latent variable, though I have many potential acceptable proxies. To reduce the structure my idea is to use a confirmatory factor analysis and boil them all down to one "index".

I know STATA includes the pca command, but my knowledge is limited, hence, I wondered if someone can provide me a link for an example of this kind. The Stata help ones are not particularly enlightening.

Especially the postestimation is not clear, so e.g. how to create a new variable. I hope I confused not to many things and appreciate your answer.

Best regards,
Ulrich