Re: FW: Re: st: isco esec issp

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: FW: Re: st: isco esec issp
Date   Sun, 19 Apr 2009 11:52:03 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Sat, 18/4/09, Andi Kopf wrote:
> I looked after the manual recoding from HARRY GANZEBOOM
> I noticed that Ganzeboom didn't translate these codes.
>
> So now I don't know what to do with these codes?
> There is no evidence how to put these codes into ISEI
> scheme.

What you need to do now is to go to the definitions of
these ISCO codes. In some cases the codes are very general
(e.g. 100, which basically only uses one digit coding
instead of four digit coding), and you might want to give
it the average ISEI for that entire 1 digit group. In other
cases the codes don't exist in the formal definition (e.g.
1238), you could look at the other variables (e.g.
education) to see if the first few digits are plausable,
and if so, you could reclassify it as the "other" category
within the higher digit group (e.g. recode 1238 to 1239).
Sometimes occupations are so rare that you would not expect
them to turn up in a survey (e.g. 1110, legislators). You
could again check whether this is a plausible code using
other variables, and if you are satisfied you could find a
profession you expect to have a similar status and attach
that codes ISEI value (e.g. give legislators the ISEI of
judges)

The definitions of the ISCO88 codes can be found here:
http://www.ilo.org/public/english/bureau/stat/isco/isco88/major.htm

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis