Re: st: isco esec issp

From   Maarten buis <>
To   stata list <>
Subject   Re: st: isco esec issp
Date   Fri, 17 Apr 2009 17:54:55 +0000 (GMT)

--- Andi Kopf wrote:
> I want to point out that the problem of translating ISCO88 groups
> into Esec is related to my master thesis. I am working on Job
> satisfaction, using mulitlevel-analyses. I know that one
> possibility is to change the ISCO88 into dichotomous blue-collar
> jobs and white-collar jobs. But in my opinion Esec would be more
> meaningful.

You can easily translate ISCO 1988 job codes into a predecessor
of the ESeC class scheme, EGP, using the -isko- command which
you can download from SSC. Type in Stata: -ssc install isko-.
-isko- will also allow you to create an occupational status
variable in the ISEI metric rather than grouping people in
a relatively small number of classes.

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie