st: RE: simple sum() question

From   "Josiane Georges" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: simple sum() question
Date   Wed, 15 Apr 2009 10:58:06 -0400

I use the collapse command when dealing with claims data structure much
the way your clinic visit data is.

I would suggest the following syntax:

collapse (sum) clinic, by (patient_id)

Josiane "Josie" Georges
Sr. Planning Analyst
Division of Mental Hygiene
Tel: 212-219-5194
Fax: 212-219-5192

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Shehzad Ali
Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 10:48 AM
Subject: st: simple sum() question

I have a simple question about summing across observations. I have 100
patients (variable: patient_id) in the dataset, each had clinic visits
(variable: clinic) and hospital visits (variable: hospital) recorded at
weeks 4, 8, 12 and 16. The dataset is long and hence I have 400
observations (one observation per patient per time point).

I want to sum the clinic visits for each patient (across all 4 visits)
bearing in mind that some patients had less than 4 visits. So
effectively I
want to generate a new variable that will produce the sum of clinic
for each patient.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,