AW: st: Efficiently run three loops (or do without them)

Subject   AW: st: Efficiently run three loops (or do without them)
Date   Mon, 13 Apr 2009 18:52:20 +0200

<>

Would Ronnie also profit from making his -program- byable? Then he could use
-bysort- to get rid of the loops. The case for an acquisition of Kit Baums
book http://www.stata-press.com/books/isp.html
should be strong in any case...

HTH
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Nick Cox
Gesendet: Montag, 13. April 2009 18:48
An: [email protected]
Betreff: RE: st: Efficiently run three loops (or do without them)

Thanks for the further information.

Add support for -if- and -in- to your -olindicator- and then use the
-group()- idea mentioned earlier.

Ronnie Babigumira

Dear Eva and Nick
Thanks for the quick response. Sorry for the unclear email, I was trying
keep the email short.

Since sending my first email, I have made some progress but I still
welcome help from you or anyone
else.

By way of a brief background, I am running this on a number of data sets
with the aim of listing the
suspect cases in a way that allows us to easily go back to the
questionnaires to check that the
listed value is indeed a valid entry. I would therefore want to be able
to see the actual values of
fup_pdt and fup_unit

The full code I am working with is

u qtr_b_fup, clear
levelsof qtr, local(qtrs)
foreach qtr of local qtrs {
	use qtr_b_fup, clear
	keep if qtr == `qtr'
	levelsof fup_pdt, local(fupdts)
	foreach i of local fupdts {
		levelsof fup_unit if fup_pdt == `i', local(fupunits)
			foreach j of local fupunits {
				preserve
				keep if fup_pdt == `i' & fup_unit == `j'
				olindicator  fup_qtycoll
				di "Potential errors in the quantity
collected for `i' & unit`j'"
				list houscode qtr fup_pdt fup_unit
fup_qtycoll if fup_qtycoll_ol==1
				restore
		}
	}
}

Where -olindicator- is a small program I have written to help me
identify the outliers

With output that looks like this
Potential errors in the quantity collected for 1 & unit 34

    | houscode | qtr | fup_pdt | fup_unit | fup_qtycoll |
    |      138 |   1 |       1 |       34 |          50 |

I think this can be improved and that I don't have to keep reloading the
data so, I welcome any help.

Hope this makes things clearer.

Ronnie