RE: st: How to append these two data sets

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: How to append these two data sets
Date   Mon, 13 Apr 2009 15:28:26 +0100

How do you know that x is 4 for id == 1 in Data 1? That is not clear to me.

Quang Nguyen

Thanks Nick and Martin. Actually, the question is a bit trickier than
"append" can handle. The structure of data 1 and 2 are different,
thus, the append would result in all missing values for the mitsmatch
variables.  Thus,

append using data2

will result in all missing values for x, y, z in the combined data set.

Actually, I would like to have  the combined data as follows:

Combined data:

id     x       y              z                  v
1     4       a               7                missing
1     4       b               8                missing
1     4       c               9                missing
1     4     missing     missing            4
1     4    missing      missing            2

Given:

Data 1
id          v
1           4