Re: st: RE: binary proportions and sample size

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: binary proportions and sample size
Date   Mon, 06 Apr 2009 18:18:00 +0200

and the winner is... Paul, who best guessed what I had in mind :)
Many thanks to Martin and Austin, too.
Let me summarize. Paul says that the sample suggests that the true number of problem tools is between 13 (1.5% x 900) and 119 (13.2% x 900), with 95% certainty. And that I can have an higher precision, the more the sample size is. Let me rephrase for Austin: which is the chance that the true number of problem tools is exactly 49 (5.4% x 900)? (And one more question: which is the chance if I relax a little my request, and allow the true number to be between 48 and 50?)
I am trying to answer such a question following Martin, but the one sample -prtesti- doesn't take advantage of the information that the population size is 900, while the two sample -prtesti- says that the chance is 1 (prtesti 74 .054 900 .054 produces Ha: diff != 0  p = 1)

Nicola