st: RE: the use of stcompet

From   "Philip Ryan" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: the use of stcompet
Date   Sun, 5 Apr 2009 13:37:31 +0930

Natalie

Enzo Coviello would no doubt be the best person to assist, but in the
meantime, recall  that the help file for -stcompet- says:

"  Note that each created variable contains the function for all competing
    events : i.e. the event of interest specified in stset statement and the
    events in compet# options. "

So, if your failure variable "path" has categories OTHER than 1, 2 or 3
(these are the only three that -stcompet- knows about in your data),
-stcompet- will not estimate the cumulative incidence function for those
categories, and a missing value is the result. Typically, a failure event
variable in a competing risk situation might still have an administrative
censoring category, coded as 0. You might choose to exclude admin censoring
as a competing risk, and so event=0 will end up with a missing cumulative
incidence.

So, in your case, with "path" as the event variable, see what  -tabulate
path-  reveals.

[My advice is based on the following information after issuing -which
stcompet-:
*! stcompet 1.0.4 EC - MB 2 FEB 2004
*! Cumulative Incidence in the Presence of Competing Events.

It is helpful if you state the version of the command you are dealing with,
especially if it is a user-written one.]

I hope this helps.

Phil

Philip Ryan
Professor and Director