st: Strange rclass program return

From   "Nelson, Carl" <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: Strange rclass program return
Date   Sat, 4 Apr 2009 17:11:23 -0500

My previous uses of rclass programs with return statements have behaved as documented. But today, I can not get return to return results from rclass programs. I have tried several examples with the same result. The simplest example follows.

  do test1

. program test, rclass
  1.     drop _all
  2.     quietly: set obs 50
  3.     generate x = uniform()
  4.     summarize x
  5.     return scalar testmean = r(mean)
  6. end

. return list

end of do-file

I am at a loss as to why return is not returning results. I would appreciate suggestions from much more expert Stata users.

Carl Nelson
University of Illinois